News

Necklace touched cell phone charger: woman suffered severe burns


Young woman suffers severe burns from the charger on her cell phone

A young woman has been badly burned because a cell phone charger has touched her necklace and electrical power has been transferred. In the past, electric shocks caused by cell phone chargers have even resulted in deaths.

Frequent reports of injuries from charging cables

In the recent past, there has been an increasing number of media reports of injuries caused by charging cables for electronic devices such as smartphones. In particular, inexpensive products from so-called generics manufacturers came under criticism. And obviously rightly so; Because, as a case described in the specialist magazine "Annals of Emergency Medicine" shows, such devices can sometimes lead to severe burns.

Young people and adolescents are particularly at risk

“Generic chargers for telephones can cause burns or electric shocks,” says lead study author Dr. Carissa Bunke quoted in the specialist journal "EurekAlert!"

“Adolescents and adolescents are particularly at risk of injury due to their frequent use of mobile devices,” says the pediatrician at the C.S. Mott Children's’s Hospital of the University of Michigan (USA).

"You shouldn't sleep in bed with your phones or mobile devices while they are charging, and avoid leaving the charger plugged in when it's not connected to a phone."

Burn wound around the neck

A case in which a young woman was seriously injured is cited in the journal “Annals of Emergency Medicine”.

According to the information, the 19-year-old woman was burned in the pediatric emergency room.

The patient previously lay in bed with a necklace, "the generic iPhone charger under the pillow and plugged into a socket when she suddenly felt a burning sensation and severe pain around the neck," write the study authors.

The clinic found that she had a burn almost all the way around her neck. The wound was cared for. Then the patient could be released home.

The scientists believe that the charger was injured when it came into contact with the necklace and caused the burn.

Multiple deaths

Deaths caused by chargers have even been reported in recent years.

A 14-year-old girl died in the USA after an electric shock because she lay in the bathtub with her smartphone connected to the charging cable and it fell into the water.

In Russia, too, a young person has had a fatal accident by using the iPhone in the bathtub.

Most of the generic products fail safety tests

According to analyzes, the use of products from generic manufacturers can be particularly dangerous.

As explained in the “EurekAlert!” Report, a study conducted by Electrical Safety First in the UK found that fifty-eight percent of the 64 generic chargers tested failed the electrical strength test.

Another test evaluated 400 generic iPhone chargers for the risk of electric shock. Of these, twenty-two samples were immediately damaged during the test process, and only three samples passed an electrical strength test, a 99 percent failure rate.

Since the "majority of generic chargers fail basic safety tests, which puts them at greater risk of electrical injury," users should "be informed about the safe use of these devices," the study authors write.

"Even with a low voltage device, a severe electric shock can occur if the current is high," said Dr. Bunke. (ad)

Author and source information

This text corresponds to the specifications of the medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been checked by medical doctors.

Swell:

  • Annals of Emergency Medicine: Circumferential Partial-Thickness Burn Caused by Mobile Telephone Charger: A Case Report, (accessed: July 27, 2019), ScienceDirect
  • EurekAlert !: Generic mobile phone chargers escalate risk of burn, electrocution, (accessed: 07/27/2019), EurekAlert!


Video: Teen burned by charging iPhone while asleep (October 2021).